5 Foods to Brighten (& Whiten) Your Smile!
There are many ways to look after your oral health, such as visiting your dentist regularly for check-ups. In addition to your regular visits, brushing, flossing, gargling, and eating a healthy diet are some other ways to keep your teeth healthy. Here, we've compiled a list of foods that can help brighten your smile, as well as provide additional benefits for your body.
- Carrots - While it's fairly well-known that carrots are rich in Vitamin A and good for your eyes, did you know that carrots are good for your teeth too? These orange veggies strengthen gums and promote saliva production, allowing food particles to be washed away and decrease the formation of bacteria that can lead to dental plaque. Their high water content also means they contribute to weight loss - by helping you stay fuller for longer.
- Nuts - Nuts work as a natural exfoliator, as their texture allows for surface stains to be 'brushed' away. Full of protein and calcium, nuts also contain Omega-3 fatty acids, good for heart health as they help with lowering cholesterol. Try walnuts, almonds and cashews for starters.
- Cheese - Cheese contains the protein casein, which is excellent for replacing the minerals lost from eating other foods. Hard cheeses, such as Cheddar and Gouda, contain calcium and are especially good for promoting saliva production and brighter teeth.
- Broccoli - A firm fibrous vegetable - broccoli has many natural minerals necessary to whiten and strengthen teeth. Eaten raw, this vegetable acts as a natural exfoliator, scrubbing away dental plaque and other loose debris in the mouth.
- Apples - Biting into a crunchy apple strengthens gums and cleans teeth naturally. It also promotes saliva production, allowing food particles to be washed away. As a good source of fiber and antioxidants why not set a challenge to try as many different varieties as possible? You might just find a new favourite!
Hopefully, this list will be another tool to help with your oral healthcare/hygiene routine. Eat away and brighten (and whiten) your smile!